Monday, December 8, 2014

Christmas 2014 Embroidered Ornament Tutorial

Hi everyone:

If you're looking for a quick Christmas gift this year, you'll love this idea! It's simple and fast and so easy to personalize. 
Christmas 2014 Ornament
While I hand embroidered a snowflake to my ornament, you could certainly choose to use the recipient's initial, a word, such as Joy or Peace, or even "Christmas 2014". If you do want to stitch a snowflake, just download my FREE Snowflake Brrr design and use the smaller snowflake design in it.

If you still have some time after making the Christmas ornament, you might want to tackle the Snowflake Brrr design and create a pillow or wall hanging with it. I know you'll have time to create that project too!

Snowflake Brrr design by Chatterbox Quilts
But let's not get ahead of ourselves: let's learn how to make the Christmas 2014 ornament first!

You'll need:


  • Two pieces of fabric - one for the front and one for the back. I used squares that were about 8" each.
  • A piece of ribbon or rickrack about 6" long for the hanger. I chose a piece of coordinating rickrack.
  • A piece of heavy fusible web, just slightly smaller than the fabric pieces.
  • A CD, bowl or jar lid - something to trace the circle that will be the finished size of your ornament. I used a CD and found it was perfect for the size I wanted.

Trace the circle onto the right side of one of the fabric pieces. I used a Frixion pen so I could easily remove the traced line later. 

After tracing the circle, I embroidered the snowflake inside the circle, centering the design in the circle.
Snowflake embroidered inside the circle
After I finished tracing the design, I layered the fabric pieces together and cut out along the traced circle with pinking shears. I also cut out a circle from the fusible web with regular scissors, making sure this circle was just a bit smaller than the fabric ones.

Finally, a use for my pinking shears!

Front and back fabrics all cut pinked out
Layer the ornament as follows: back fabric, wrong side up; ribbon or rickrack, folded in half with raw edges in; fusible web; top embroidered fabric. Fuse the ornament together, following the manufacturer's instructions.


Layered up and ready to be fused
Hang your ornament and enjoy! (You did make one for yourself, didn't you?)


All finished and hanging in my house already
If you have additional time, consider adding some embellishments to the ornament. A running stitch or maybe even some beading all around the edge would be lovely (why didn't I think of that when I did this ornament?!). There are lots of ways to jazz up this little decoration. 

I had fun creating this ornament and it only took an hour to whip up.

I hope you'll try stitching your own embroidered Christmas ornament and would love to see your creations.

Happy quilting!

No comments: